Thankful

   Around 14 years ago, my husband and I started a new adventure. We became licensed foster/adoptive parents. We could barely contain our excitement as we anticipated having our first placement.
  We thought that we were ready to take on the foster care world and that we would tackle it with ease and enthusiasm. What we learned in those first few years is how naive we were.
  Being a parent is challenging. Being a foster parent is beyond challenging. Your heart breaks with each new child who comes into your home. Sometimes they stay for years. Sometimes only for days.
   Sharing our home, our possessions, our faith, and our very lives with the 60 plus children who have been with us at one time or another has been a huge eye opener. With each child comes their story of abuse or neglect. Nightmares that I had previously only seen on TV were now the reality that was playing out in my living room. Drug abuse, gang involvement, sexual abuse, addictions, domestic violence, exploitation.... These are just some of the issues that have come to us.
    As I think about my own upbringing, I cannot help but be so very thankful. I was raised by a mom and a dad who love God and each other. They not only loved me, but they demonstrated how to love on others. They always did everything they could to care for me and to keep me safe. I never had to wonder if I was important to them. In fact, the thought never even crossed my mind. Because of the ways they showed their love for me.......I just knew.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment