Remodeling More Then a Home


   There is ice on the inside of my windows. Our home was begun in 1857 and finished in 1859. No the windows are not that old, but it feels like they are. We love the structure and that it has a firm foundation. We have decided that the half turn staircases must stay, but the windows are not efficient, so they will be replaced. When you remodel a home yourself, partly because your paying for it as you go, and partly because you have always had the ability to complete repairs/remodel for yourself, it's a slower process. My husband has the knowledge of how to do about anything to a home. He also, has two torn shoulders and is about to have his third shoulder surgery. As I paint and fix things myself, it bothers him, because he isn't the one doing it. At first I thought, get over it. Then I began to realize, he's a man, and he wants to do everything his brain knows how to do, but his body will no longer allow him to. Thereafter, I relaxed and did things that he could deal with. So, remodeling is happening, but not at a record pace.
    Our home remodeling, reminds me of my life. I had been freaking out about turning 40 recently. Then it hit me, with my grandmothers longevity and God changing my diet, I'll probably live till I'm in my 90's or older. My life isn't even half over yet. Then I thought, What will I know when I am 90. I became excited! Like this house, my structure is good, I have a firm foundation in Christ, but some of my ways of thinking are not yet wise, so they need to be replaced with the knowledge of God. You see, my goal is to be wise by the end of my life. Unless God zaps me with it, as He did Solomon, it's probably going to take a while to attains such a lofty goal. So, like my slowly progressing home. I am now relaxing about it. Allowing God to replace inefficient, unwise ways, with understanding and wisdom that only He gives. I would like to leave this world a better place for having been here, but I now understand, that doesn't happen over night.
    Yes, If you cry out for discernment and lift up your voice for understanding, if you seek her as silver, and search for her as for hidden treasure; Then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. Proverbs 2: 3-5
    Happy is the one who finds wisdom, and the one who gains understanding; for her proceeds are better then the profits of silver, and her gain than fine gold. She is more precious than rubies, and all the things you may desire cannot compare with her. Length of days are in her right hand, and in her left are riches and honor. Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her, and happy are all who retain her. Proverbs 3:13-18

0 comments:

Post a Comment