Not my home

Tomorrow my husband plans to drive 500 miles so that he can interview for a job. Paul graduated from Penn State in May, and after submitting 88 applications, started a temporary job 5 months ago. He needs a new job that will start this August. Of the 20 applications I've submitted for him thus far, only 2 were for temporary jobs. Yesterday he had a phone interview with one of those temporary jobs, and Friday he's scheduled to have an in-person interview for the other. Although I am grateful for these invitations to interview, I am still praying he'll receive a permanent job offer this time around.

From birth to age nine, I lived in Pennsylvania, Alabama, Texas, and Maryland, and then I lived in the same house for the next nine years. Over the past 24 years I've moved every 2-4 years. I have a very strong desire to put down roots. I would love to live in the same house for decades. I want to plant things like blueberry bushes and strawberry plants, but I have not done so because I knew when we moved here that we would probably be moving once my husband completed his degree. As I have struggled emotionally with the thought of moving 500 miles for a job that will only last three years, the Lord has been reminding me that this world is not my home; we're just passing through! In I Peter 1:17, Peter referred to our life here on earth as our "temporary residence." Although I dislike the idea that I might have to wait three more years before I can put down some roots, it could be a good thing if it reminds me that my focus should be on my eternal home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment