Accent

Last night I was talking with a group of teen girls about the importance of surrounding ourselves with accountable friends.  We should all strive to spend time with others who will sharpen us.  Who will help us to live as Christ, and help us see our displaced selves in a loving way.

I have a friend who has a wonderful southern accent.  It is just about as catchy as the latest songify out there.  The more time I spend with her, the more I notice that southern drawl coming into my voice.  The twang, the slang and the all ya'll's comes out strong.  Now, her mom has an even stronger southern flair to her vocabulary.  When I spend a signifigant time talking with her, well I may even start calling a shopping cart a buggy.  Now, if you know me, you know that I have always been raised in the Magnificent Midwest, but there is something in me that just so breaths sweet tea, front porch rocking, flip flops and good ol' southern hospitality.

Now, back to that accent thing.  Do you see how it relates to spending time with others?  If I were to surround myself with folks who had that deep-lovin', crawfish catchin', whole heart, don't hold back lifestlye....well it is something I will easily pick up on and without even a notice, I would just weave it all into my daily life.  We need to be that for each other in the body of believers.  We need to spread encouragement like a bad case of  the flu.  Build each other up in love so strong that satan himself starts shakin' in his boots.  That is a beautiful picture of the body of Christ.

0 comments:

Post a Comment