Family buisness.

     I talk about God to friends a lot.  I study about martyrs and modern day political prisoners.  I have many Christian friends from all denominations.  I have seen our faith and many churches from the perspective of friends that hate Christianity.  When I look through their eyes, I cringe and wince.  Being in the problem, I'm a part of it.
     I started in a denomination FAMOUS for C. A. R. I. N. G about minutia.  You know, this one: 
"Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"
He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"
He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"
Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over."

     Oh those are not tears of laughter.  nope.  I am not laughing because that was me.  I had added to salvation things that should never have been there.  Then I heard an amazing sermon from a **BAPTIST** pastor.  He said, "Think about what you would go to martyrdom for.  If a man with a gun said, 'Tell me the rapture happens at the end of the tribulation or die!' What would you give your life for?  Is this a part of life or death?  Is it this issue that will cost you?  I hope you answered that this is not the issue you will live or die on.  What if the man demanded, 'Deny that Jesus is coming back!'  [already my mind was answering "Shoot me"] Then you should care.  Then you can stand on what is a truth worth dying for.  People are dying for this question right now today.  We in America need to sort out quick what is worth dying for and then stand on it." 
     I was changed from that point on.  It was slow and tedious change, grueling with mistakes and gear grinding, but I have narrowed it down considerably.  I can see how unsaved people see us.  I still struggle.  I have opinions on the other stuff.  The other stuff is important to have an opinion on.  But I can rest assured that if I cling to my must haves, God will sort the other stuff out in my life and in the lives of all the others following him.  He is a God about truth and unity.  When He does come back, it will all be set right, and I promise, Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912 will just not matter anymore.





0 comments:

Post a Comment