Thankful For.......

     After three full weeks in the auto repair shop, our car was returned & running well. The next day, we took it to have the wheels aligned. It's a 2001 Cadillac Catara, so getting parts is not exactly easy.
     I am impatient with slow drivers. On a dreary, dark, day, after the tires were lined up and I was driving home from the grocery stores. A guy in a work truck was driving between five and fifteen miles per hour, below the speed limit. I tried to pass but didn't feel there was enough room. Thereafter, I was determined to pass the next chance I got. I looked up the long stretch of hill and saw nothing was coming. I put my foot down as I came from behind, to pass. Then suddenly, a black truck without illuminated headlights, was headed straight towards me. I slammed on the breaks, swerved to go back behind the slowpoke, and kept sliding off the road. I couldn't stop. Then THUG, CRASH! Shaking, I got out of the car. The burnt smell of the side air bag popping out had filled my nostrils. OH CRAP, was all I could think. I looked at the damage. The front tire was flat, the entire passenger side was crunched, two windows were gone, the side mirror and bumper were just hanging there. Then a police car with headlights & sirens blaring came around the bend..... but went right passed. I had hit a garbage dumpster and some wooden steps.
     A guy that stopped to help asked. "Are you O.K.?" "Who are your parents?" I was like, what? I had been really uneasy about becoming 40 in the near future. So I was like, whoohoo, my face serum is SOOOO working, yay! Then I thought, wait! Maybe he thought I was so young, because only an inexperienced person would do this. I'm going with, I look 20. A girl from the little store across the street, called the owners of the place I slid across. The first thing out of their mouths was, "are you O.K.?" I said, "I am fine." "I am so sorry I messed up your steps." They said, "this is the sixth time this happened, at least you didn't take out the mail boxes, like everyone else." Paul came and said, that car's totaled. That almost made me sick. We just got the car back the day before. That day, we put a three year alignment warranty on it, and recently bought 4 more expensive tires. The guy that asked who my parents were said, "you are really lucky, you should have flipped, Wow!"
     A few days later, it sunk in. God saved me from so many things that could have happened. I was only a little stiff, not dead or damaged, and I work for a chiropractor. No one in the other two vehicles were involved at all. I didn't cause much property damage. The owner said the steps were being repaired with most of the existing wood, to have a nice Thanksgiving, and we'll work out any small cost later. No one was with me. Anyone on the passengers side would have been hurt. Everyone, was very nice to me, including my husband Paul. Only one side was damaged. The auto-body guy found another car like ours in a junk yard. So, we may purchase cheaper parts from it. Paul said he would repair the car if, I slow down. Every bit of my groceries, including the case of glass bottled mineral water, were fine. I had a cell phone to call Sarah & Paul. Sarah gave me a hug when I walked in the house and had tried to make dinner for us all before we got home. I have so many things to be thankful for, on this Thanksgiving Day. God is so gracious. THANK YOU GOD!

0 comments:

Post a Comment