Transformed.

     I have been, in the past, a most absentminded and flaky sort of person.  I'd show up to school with no pens, pencils, paper, notebooks, and mismatched socks.  Homework was hit or miss.  I missed it not out of an inability to do it, but an inability to REMEMBER it.  I was kicked out of piano lessons because I just forgot it was Wednesday that day.  She had had it with my forgetfulness, and would not teach me anymore.  Her ungraciousness, meant to teach me my lesson, didn't work, just made me soundly dislike her.  It isn't like I WANTED to forget piano, it was just that if I missed the bus, I'd have to wait until Dad was ready to leave school.  Some nights that was 7:00 pm.  So everyday I screamed in my head, "CAN'T MISS THE BUS!!!"  Couldn't that lady understand the conflict in my soul every day?! I longed to be the organized student that could remember two things at once.  But for some reason outside of me, I could not no matter how hard I tried.

      Sure I still have my days where I forget, double book, and have moments of panic about a forgotten 3 dozen cookies due in two hours.  HOWEVER, something has happened.  I had a boy.  Not just ANY boy, but my Joey.  Joey is complicated, genius level smart, and not the easiest to parent.

    I read parenting books.  I read A LOT of parenting books.  I ruminated over sticker charts, jelly jars filled with beads, m&m's, allowance, and organizational calendars.  Then I saw it.  With clarity and vision all of the books that seemed to convoluted in nature, were all the same on ONE point.

I could choose whichever parenting help or tool I wanted as long as

I WAS CONSISTENT IN IT.

     Tirelessly I rewarded, stickered, cheered, chided, disciplined, and encouraged.  I threw myself into finding some amazing way to make me consistent.  And then I prayed. LORD help me to truly Remember all the charts, stickers, pencils, beads, and rewards.  He answered and before I could realize what was happening to us all, I became consistent in parenting.  This gives me hope that the rest will sort itself under God's loving teaching.

    Just this past month two friends, from two different parts of my life,  said these words to me, "You know, I can tell how you never let up or relax.  You consistently teach your child."  WHO ME?!?!?!  The me that was kicked out of piano lessons?!  Oh, God, thank you.  Thank you for making this miracle in me.  Thank you for the fruit it has born in Joey's transforming heart.  Thank you for your care for us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment