The Grands

Last weekend my husband and I had the pleasure of a visit from his son and two of our four grandchildren.  They are 15 months and 2 years old, and we had so much fun with them, enjoying watching their father interact with them and chase them around our home fussing at them in an attempt to keep them from breaking anything or pounding on one another.  


I never had any children of my own, and when anyone inquired, I always joked that I had heard that grandchildren were more fun, so I planned to have them instead.  Little did I know that I was predicting my future!  When I was young(er), I casually assumed that I would do the marriage/2.5 children/picket fence thing like most girls dream of, but as my first marriage went along, it became apparent that having children wasn't the best idea.  Then when I found myself walking the path of a broken marriage, I was thankful that there were no children to wound.  Over the years I had accepted that I would not have children or grandchildren, and had to convince my grandmother that I was fine with that.  Which I was.

Then I met Philip, fell in love, married him and became a stepmother to three beautiful (and twentysomething) children as well as an instant grandmother.  It has been an interesting journey for me.  I pray for grace, because although I adore them all, I feel very much like a fish out of water when I am around them.  Because of my work schedule and distance, I don't get to see them very often, so it takes the little ones awhile to warm up to me whenever we do see them.  When they finally decide to snuggle up to me though, it is such an amazing thing to me!  I am so thankful to have them in my life, and I pray that I can be a positive influence in their lives like my grandparents were in mine.  This weekend we are going to meet our newest grandbaby who will be 5 weeks old.  We are so excited!!


Grandchildren are a crown to the aged,
and parents are the pride of their children.
Proverbs 17:6




0 comments:

Post a Comment