Fasting?!?

God has directed me to fast, at times. Each fast is different, each have
different purposes and lessons to learn.
A few years ago, God told me to fast. That time, I was allowed to eat
any vegetables I wanted, with only salt, vinegar  and/or oil, cooked or 
raw. I was allowed to consume anything drinkable except alcohol, dairy, 
sugary beverages or coffee. Paul & I went to a buffet with lots of vegetable
choices. I was tempted by my beloved cooked cabbage with ham. I 
rationalized eating it, by removing the ham, cabbage was allowed. I knew 
it was likely to have things in it, I shouldn't have, even without ham. I ate 
any way. I became so sick to my stomach, I wanted to die. The fast lasted 
longer then it would have, and I was sick. A lesson well learned.

This last time, I knew a month or so before the fast, as God began 
revealing the purposes. Instead of cutting back, I went head long into
eating & drinking craving inducing things. When I heard God say, 
"Fast Today", I was like, oh crap! O.K.... fine! I asked, "God could I
have some help with this?" Then I took a big drink of my homemade 
chicken broth, He had directed me to have. I burned my mouth so 
badly that is was numb for 3 days, and I tasted little for 4 and a half 
days. The fast was five days, go figure. Ask and you shall receive. 
It would have been better to prepare instead. Another lesson learned.

During my fasts, I have some cravings, but there is a special 
dispensation given to me that is difficult to describe. However, when 
I tried to fast on my own, I was a mess. On my "God fast", as I call 
them, I sometimes made breakfast for Sarah, sat with others while they 
ate and I simply had my God approved item, while I had no desire for 
their food. This was a combination of that dispensation spoken of 
earlier, and lessons previously learned. Other times, I would go to another 
room and read the bible, or stay at work while my family ate dinner. 

I'm not blogging these things to pretend I am holier then thou. Oh please,
those that really know me would laugh in your face at that very thought.
However, this is a subject rarely broached by God's own people today.
When Jesus spoke of fasting he didn't say if, but rather When you fast
do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to 
show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their 
reward in full.... Then Jesus goes on to give instruction; But when you fast, 
put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to 
others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your
Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. Mathew 6:16-18

Jesus is not saying you can't even tell your family your fasting. They'll 
notice you aren't eating. If you are to be with others during your fast, you 
may need to tell them, should they need to know for food preparation
purposes. 
The point is, we are to fast as God directs and not be obvious about it. 
There are specific reasons God directs us to fast and if we are obedient, 
we are rewarded. If we are disobedient, we are punished, simple. The 
reward is a way better outcome, trust me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment