Thanksgiving Prayer

We thank you, Father, for the gift of Jesus your Son who came to our earth and lived in a simple home. We have a greater appreciation of the value and dignity of the human family because he loved and was loved within its shelter. Bless us this day; may we grow in love for each other in our family and so give thanks to you who are the maker of all human families and our abiding peace.

From The Catholic Prayer Book, compiled by Msgr. Michael Buckley

My life in the past didn't have very many ready-made prayers.  Once in a great while for an important occasion such as a wedding or Easter celebration, a person might take a page of notes up to pray, but even that was a little odd.  My Catholic life is full of wonderful prepared prayers, and I am thankful for them. Sometimes, like this time, they help me see what's right in front of me in a new way.
Thinking of the Son of God in an earthly home with all its limitations and knowing how obviously important his family was to him and the way he cared for it, makes me desire to love my family in better ways.  His human family must have fallen so far short of the divine love he shared with his Heavenly Father, but he valued what it was instead of complaining about what it wasn't
This is a good prayer to keep in my pocket this Thanksgiving.  Happy Thanksgiving to you and to your families.

0 comments:

Post a Comment