Ouch!

 

 A week ago..... I was getting ready to leave for work. I ran up my stairs just like I do a hundred times every day. Only this time was different.  I caught my little toe on a heat vent. Exploding pain was quickly followed by a burning sensation. My toe felt numb but was throbbing at the same time. With no time to spare, I hobbled back downstairs and put my socks and shoes on and went out the door to work. After my 9 hour shift had ended, I limped home and finally dared to look at my toe. It was a lovely shade of purple.
  I had never really contemplated the importance of that little toe before, but now that it was broken, it was all I thought about. I thought about how it helps me keep my balance. I thought about how many thousands of times a day it contributes to the motion of every step I take.
  How do you treat a broken toe??? According to my COTA sister (Terri), R-I-C-E = rest (have you met my children?), ice (substitute a bag of frozen corn), compression (just shoving it into my shoe seems to be compression enough), and elevate (again...have you met my children?).
  I have found myself becoming extremely protective of that appendage. The rest of my body automatically compensates for the injured part. I walk differently, sit differently, drive differently all to try to protect that toe from further pain. I try to keep it from having to bear its normal load. I tape it to a stronger appendage so that it will be supported.
  How many times in the body of Christ do we fail to recognize the value of another part of the body until it is broken? So many times we go about our normal routine when out of the blue...BAM! Something happens that causes causes pain, damage, and weakness. What is the most helpful treatment of an injury??? Scolding??? Pointing out fault??? Ignoring the hurt???
  The body of Christ is called to compensate for the hurting....to help in bearing the weight....to bind the weaker part together to a stronger member....to promote healing so that the previously injured part can function to its fullest potential.

0 comments:

Post a Comment