God is in the details

Over the years I have become ruthlessly frugal.  Partly for the thrill of finding a gem of a deal, but also out of necessity.  Having a large family will naturally do that to you.  This year for Christmas gifts for the kiddos I have started searching our local second-hand store.  I was taken back by the loads of amazing deals I got on dolls for my daughters.  Dolls that were actually on the top of their wish list this year.  My greatest find, however, was a huge bag full of Thomas the train.  There was hundreds of dollars worth of tracks, accessories and engines.   I took the bag down off the shelf and examined it carefully, yes indeed it was truly the name brand stuff...in mint condition.    I turned the bag over and checked the price.  Sigh.  It was a bit higher than what I wanted to spend, but this deal was still too good to pass up.  Now, This was one of those stores that purchase items from you as well, so I found my way up to the counter to have it put on hold until they went through my itemsI had   brought in.  On my way through the store I spotted two hooded sweatshirts for my son and a couple of other items for Christmas gifts.  The sweet woman behind the counter held the items for me and I joined my husband at the bookstore around the corner.  While waiting for the call from the second-hand store I added up what my purchase would be, and with a twenty-percent off coupon I had earned, came up with the total price of seventy-five dollars.  Sigh.  This was still a bit more than I wanted to spend on that day, even though I would be scoring some great deals on gifts for my kiddos and winning smiles around the living room on Christmas morning.  I remembered how I had resolved to have peace this Christmas season.  I had resolved to use our budget in the most responsible way possible.  Finding three gifts each for eight children is a challenge, and finding ones that speak to who they are and what their hearts desire is a tough journey at best.  I prayed about that purchase.  I know it may sound silly, but I pray about all purchases.  Even if it is toilet paper and Q-tips at meijer, I want to always make sure I am spending money with the right heart about the matter.  So, I prayed.  After my husband and I finished up at the bookstore I returned to the store expecting I would have to make a decision.  To put a few things back to stay within the price range I had set.  The clerk placed my items on the counter for the to purchase and I asked for the quote amount.  She checked the paper and said "seventy-five dollars and fifty cents".  Did you get that...seventy-five dollars....and fifty cents.  It was as though God was saying...."yes, child I love you.  And want to give to you in abundance, the desires of your heart".  He answered my prayers and saw my heart that day.  God sees, he knows, and he is in the details.   This was such a sweet reminder to me that God, in His goodness, has the power to do all things.  Sometimes I can look at situations and thing they will never work out.  That they are hopeless.  Relationships, teaching, parenting, schedules, budgets.   And yes, by my own strength so many of these are hopeless.  But with God these things are possible.  He is in the details.

0 comments:

Post a Comment