Tradition, Tradition

When you reflect back on your childhood, what are your strongest memories? What I remember the most are the traditions my parents implemented such as family fun night, family devotions, prayer times, summer vacations, Christmas caroling in our neighborhood, physical and spiritual birthday celebrations, etc. Last November I started a new tradition in our family. I got a special journal and on Thanksgiving Day recorded things that each of us were thankful for. Now that my daughter is able to write, I am planning on having her write in the journal next week. I will transcribe the lists of her younger brothers until they are also old enough to write in the journal each November. It's always a good idea to stop and count our blessings, and I am hoping that this journal will be treasured by my children when they are adults. In Treasuring God in our Traditions Noel Piper stresses the importance of everyday traditions as well as special celebrations - birthdays, weddings, funerals, Christmas, and Easter. How can we keep God at the center of each of these? Lately I have been giving thought to our family's traditions. I hope they will not only provide fond memories for my children in the future but more importantly point them to the Lord.

0 comments:

Post a Comment