True

     Yesterday, Ellanor (3) had one of those adorable school programs where all the 3 year olds sing and the pastor gives a simple devotional thought. I was not expecting his attention getter pictures and simple words for toddlers to make me cry. Yet, there I was.
     Pastor Salemink of St James Lutheran Church in Lafayette came out and held up the familiar shape of a Valentine's heart. "Hey kids! What is this?" All the children raised hands and called out, "A heart!" He smiled and said, "Right, sort of. (He held up a picture of a red and blue, tube-laden real heart) What is this?" He called out. His question was met with silence. My husband whispered, "Real."
     "Kids, this is what a real human heart looks like. When I was your age I was sure my heart looked like this perfect, pretty red heart over here. But that's not true. Love is like these hearts." Here my tears started to run. "Many grown up people think that love is that fluttery, stomach churning, silly feeling that comes and goes. That's not love; that's gas. Go potty. Love is a verb you do and a choice you make every day to care for the people in your life. Just like Jesus loved us when He came."
     My life last year tested the boundaries of what I meant when I said, "I love you." But I chose to love, to forgive, to have it healed. I have not regretted that decision for a moment. Love that repents, love that forgives, love that looks forward is the love that you do. It's the love Jesus gives us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment