Day of Reckoning

This is the day after my fundraising event for St. Martin's Kids. I am in love with St. Martin DePorres Orphanage in Tanzania. They do such critical work with so few resources. It makes every penny important. This is the day when I can judge how A Taste of Redwall did.
Some things were good. Being a dessert competition, there was always a "can't fail" aspect. In this case the four desserts were excellent, the voting for the prizes was appropriately splintered. The room was very cute, with the blue tablecloths, red geraniums, and giant coloring sheets.  The coloring sheets were a hit. All four were finished and then some by the end of the event. The skit was funny with Friar Hugo, Bingo and Bungo teaching us how to bake apples and how to grow in love. I was pleased with those things 
I made the wrong choice about the sound system, and it damaged important parts of the day, most importantly, the Martin to Martin appeal. Our best shot at sharing our cause was very hard to hear. I hope people read the information in the program. We fell just short of meeting half our goal for ticket
sales. Other mistakes occurred, but they were minor and can be overlooked for this first time event. 
All in all, I think the event was a success. I wanted to do it better, but I did the best I could. I would grade it a C+. I will regret that it isn't an A for a while, but I tried--I did more than fail.
In all this reckoning, my heart is reminded, "Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, but wait until the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of men's hearts ; and then each man's praise will come to him from God." On the one hand, I am quite encouraged, because he who knows everything knows the quiet things that happened in the privacy of each heart. Maybe a bunch of small changes for the good added up to something. On the other hand he knows how each of my choices impacted the final outcome. He knows what that last phone call might have done. He knows where I wasn't listening and missed the boat.
Either way, it's not my job to be the final judge. My report card isn't out yet, but I know my teacher loves me. I'm praying for an A.

0 comments:

Post a Comment