The Distracted Mom

I remember times in my childhood when a parent or teacher wasn't really listening tome when I was talking because they were focused on something else such as reading a newspaper. They would periodically say things like "uh huh," but I eventually figured out they weren't actually paying attention to me. Nowadays technology is a distraction more often than the newspaper. Many people carry around a device that enables them to check their email or Facebook feed all throughout the day. A video that went viral on Facebook recently illustrated this distraction very clearly. I don't own a smart phone, but that doesn't mean I have escaped the temptation to spend too much time on the internet. I know there have been times when my kids have asked me to play with them or read to them, and I've put them off because I was on my laptop. I recently attended a session titled "The Distracted Mom" given by Heidi St. John, and she said that she actually turns off the wi-fi in her house during certain hours of the day so that it will be easier for her to give her children her undivided attention. I am keeping that suggestion tucked away in case I ever find myself unable to keep a tight rein on the amount of time I spend on the internet each day. These years with my children are going to fly by, and I don't want them to have a distracted mom!

0 comments:

Post a Comment