For Realsies

     I was watching children at play.  Some children followed the rules, others did not. There were monkey bars, rock walls, swings, and slides. Of course, all the children stood the chance of being hurt. A recent conversation had me thinking about those children.
     A lady was telling me that she was helping a person who had been through 'authentic' suffering. I had to know what the difference was. She said, "Authentic suffering is caused by unavoidable tragedy, illness or abuse. Inauthentic suffering is suffering caused by consequences of sin issues. This is to be expected and only helped if a right heart attitude is present."
   My mind went back to the playground scene, imagine there is an injured child bleeding and lying on the ground barely moving. In my world, I don't care if he broke rules and fell being careless, was pushed, or just tripped. I'm getting him help by meeting his immediate need. After wounds are wrapped and tears have dried, playground safety should be discussed, but only after the child has reached a place of rest and healing.
     It is not my place to ask why or how or judge authenticity, it is only mine to look up, realize it could have easily been me, and apply bandages with love and care.

0 comments:

Post a Comment