A precious gift?

During my early years of infertility I met some women on a trying to conceive discussion board. Several of us have remained friends for more than ten years, and I've been able to meet a few of them in person. I've met Joanna in person a few times over the years, even though she lives in Florida and I live in Pennsylvania. Although I'm 8 years older than her, we both were married in 2001. Her infertility struggles are due to endometriosis. She tried ivf for the first time in 2006, and the Lord used that to result in her giving birth in 2007. They started the ivf process again in 2009, but she never even made it to the egg retrieval because her body was not responding to an extremely high dosage of very expensive fertility medications. The doctor told her that she would never have another child with her DNA. In 2012 they pursued ivf with donor eggs, and the Lord graciously allowed her to give birth to another boy. In the early years of trying to conceive, every month was an emotional roller coaster, but the last few years she has assumed that any future pregnancy would come only from an embryo transfer. She was no longer on the monthly emotional roller coaster.

Recently she started to experience symptoms that lead her use a pregnancy test, and she was completely thrilled when those two beautiful lines appeared. She couldn't believe that after more than ten years of trying to conceive, she and her husband had conceived without intense medical intervention for the very first time. Unfortunately that little gorgeous line got fainter instead of darker over the next few tests, and a week after she found out she was pregnant, the miscarriage began. I have found myself asking God a few "why" questions. I fear that this pregnancy will reignite her hope and put her back on that dreaded monthly roller coaster. Although she shed many tears over the loss of her baby, she has truly demonstrated the "peace that passes understanding." Joanna recognizes that she is only the clay, and she trusts that the Potter will work this out for good in her life. When she wrote about this experience on her blog, she titled the post "a precious gift." I have never experienced a pregnancy without intense medical intervention, but if I did and it ended in miscarriage, I doubt I would have referred to it as a "precious gift." I am so grateful that the Lord is enabling her to handle this grief in such a gracious manner. I'm praying that He will help her stay off the monthly emotional roller coaster, and that if it be His will, her next frozen embryo transfer will result in a viable pregnancy. Life truly is a very precious gift.

0 comments:

Post a Comment