Grace

What do you say to someone who has just lost one of the most significant persons in his life?  How do you comfort someone to whom this loss is just the latest in a string of the most incomprehensible tragedies in his life?  How do you minister life to one who has walked through darkness, death, hopelessness and hell, and still struggles with it on a daily basis?  What can you say that doesn't come off sounding hollow and trite, to encourage them to carry on?  Is there anything that you can say to convince them that God truly loves them and is for them rather than against them?

We just reconnected with a longtime friend of my husband's, who has lived this out.  My husband has walked with this man for many years, and Philip told me that God told him that he would have to walk the extra mile with this one.  I just met him and his wife for the first time, and I find my heart drawn toward them both.  They are not people who fit those neat little church molds.  They are real.  Their pain is raw and real, and they have not been taught how to conceal it under the nice little masks that we learn how to wear, although I did notice that he was trying to reign himself in a bit, probably for my sake, having just met me.  Something really cool happened when we invited them out for a bite to eat.  When we arrived at the restaurant, God moments began to unfold.  The owner was there, a rough-cut biker who loves God and loves people and is able to just be real and minster the love of God in such a genuine way.  We were able to introduce them, and then other lovers of God randomly began showing up throughout our time with this couple, who were able to minister simple words of encouragement and love and hope in a way that rang true.  

I know in my spirit that we are going to continue to journey with this couple, and I am aware that historically, this particular journey has required much grace on my husband's part.  I am confident that Holy Spirit will give us grace to just love on them, that He will let us know when to simply listen and be there for them, and that when it is time to speak, He will give us words that will bring life and hope and freedom.

0 comments:

Post a Comment