The Rest.

     I love inside, background information.  I used to make my father sit in the car and finish listening to Paul Harvey tell "The Rest of the Story."  The sweat and tears that went into the creation of things I knew about, made those things more precious to me.  Out of this curiosity a love of archeology and history sprang up.  Recently I read a history called "Devil in the White City."

     I picked up the book because it was part of Lafayette's "One Great Read" initiative.  The goal is to get as many people in the city reading and talking about the same book.  The topic was odd.  It is about the Chicago's Columbus Exposition and World Fair.  But that is not ALL it is about.  During the World Fair, an inscrutable serial murderer moved in and out using the fair as a cover for the disappearances of his victims.  It was an odd juxtaposition of light and dark.
  
     The book was packed with stories that Paul Harvey would have told.  I loved the lush details behind the first Ferris wheel and Shredded Wheat.  My favorite part were the descriptions of the city built in a year by a team of 20,000 laborers and a board of architects.  When I read that the mayor ordered it burned down, I sobbed.  During the entire book I harbored a hope I could run to some unexplored part of the city and see it.  The author leaves us in suspense until the end.

     As a final note he says that one building still stands.  It was one of the smaller ones and one the city thought it could maintain.  During the fair we came to know it as the Fine Arts building.  Now we all know it as The Museum of Science and Industry.  I could easily recall the familiar halls and was staggered to know that it was one of the smaller buildings.  I can't imagine the immensity of the fair.

     This is what the Bible is to me.  It is jammed packed, chock-a-block filled with insider, background information on the person that means the world to me.  Every page rings with His coming, His love, His grace, and His hope.  He is my Savior and my God.  He is Jesus Christ.  If you look deeply and drink in the lush details, you see that God is a part of this book and He never disappoints.

0 comments:

Post a Comment