"Every generation has its scars."

That's what I told someone this morning as we were remembering 9/11/2001.

Most adults living can remember where they were and what they did that fateful day.  Just as other generations remember the Challenger explosion, the fall of Saigon, the assassination of JFK or Martin Luther King, Jr., or the bombing of Pearl Harbor.  

How do we live with those scars?  


       This is my Father's world.  
 O let me ne'er forget 
 that though the wrong seems oft so strong, 
 God is the ruler yet.*


Often it is hard to see God in the mist of suffering, pain, injustice, worry, and other of life's scars.  Yet, the Psalmist calls us to remember that the LORD is our stronghold and our savior.

The Lord is my light and my salvation
    whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
    of whom shall I be afraid? 

When the wicked advance against me
    to devour me,
it is my enemies and my foes
    who will stumble and fall.
Though an army besiege me,
    my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
    even then I will be confident. 

I remain confident of this:
    I will see the goodness of the Lord
   

 in the land of the living.**  


I can't explain why God allows scar-inducing events - both national and personal - to happen.  But I know that, even though the wrong seems so strong, our God - Father, Jesus,  Holy Spirit - is still with us.  And, hopefully, I - and you - will remain confident so that we will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

On this 9/11/13 we remember the scars inflicted.

But we also remember the God who calls us to trust him and to receive his grace, love, mercy, forgiveness, and healing through Jesus Christ.  



For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent and set me high upon a rock.***

Amen.


* "This Is My Father's World" by Maltbie D. Babcock 
**Ps. 27:1-3, 13
*** Ps. 27:5

0 comments:

Post a Comment