His grace is enough

I read those articles all the time.  I love the inspiration they give.  Welling up inside of me is the free-spirited, "I don't care what others think, let's make paper mâché llamas and paint them bright blue.  The house work will never be done, so why try to get ahead of it all."
I read those articles that try to empower mamas like me.  They try to remove some of our guilt that we heap onto ourselves because our home is not catalog worthy.  And for a while I do feel empowered.  I am able to focus on these little gifts that God has entrusted me with.  To savor the  joy of the day with them and teach them about His grace.  But then....I remember.  I remember those comments.  I remember what  that lady says about her daughter not sweeping the floors enough.  I remember the woman who is so critical of her neighbor and how her windows are never clean, ever.  And, of course I remember the dear friend whom I visit, she greats me with a smile and an apology.  Sorry for how much of a hot mess her home is while I am stopping by.  At a glance her home is a hundred times cleaner than mine.  Oh, the things she must think when she comes to my home.  I should probably start apologizing from now on too....after all with eight kiddos, there is bound to be some sort of disaster around every corner.
Then I remember the legacy I want to leave.  The legacy of a heart and home open, not to be taken advantage of, but to be used of The Lord to bless others.  To bless my children with the ability to keep a home tidy, but not be enslaved.  So, I asked a dear friend to keep me accountable.  I invited her to stop by our home any time of the day, even 30 minutes before our upcoming 1st birthday party celebration!  Stop by and see if my home is perfectly kept, and catalog worthy.  If it is....my heart has not been right.  I have   been focused on the wrong things, and sacrificed precious time with loved ones for the benefit of  selfish motives.  So, to you my dear friend, come and stop by.  I am in need of a bit of accountability on this one!
Lord, help me to recognize that Your grace is enough for me, my family and our home.  Help me to live as though I believe this truth, so that my children can see that grace in their lives.

0 comments:

Post a Comment