Context



Take a good look at this picture and tell me what Bible story it came from or stories, if you wish.  A few years ago I would have said Noah and Daniel, but now I know they are Utnapishtim and Gilgamesh.  I've begun reading ancient (and medieval) literature, and I am relishing the much desired context it is providing my knowledge of the Bible.  In my early days my reading was severely censored, in some cases quite wisely, in others out of foolish fears.  In any case, the Bible was the only book I could read to exhaustion.  I have read it cover to cover twelve times, and the more popular bits many times more.  My permitted reading didn't provide much comparison/contrast.  I turned to Alice in Wonderland in desperation, but now I know the Bible wasn't a one of wonder.  It was born in contexts spanning centuries.  These stories and laws have close relatives in other ancient books.  I suppose my early shepherds were trying to preserve the Bible's uniqueness, but that is so unnecessary.  The Bible's uniqueness is so obvious.  There is more genuine mercy in a page of Leviticus than there is in the whole of The Code of Hammurabi, and I like The Code of Hammurabi, progress is progress.  Maybe a trip through the ancients isn't necessary for everyone, but everyone should be free to do so if they'd like.  Projects like that are how people grow, not the least in appreciation of the Word.

0 comments:

Post a Comment