Prognosis

   I have had some pretty in depth conversations with some friends over the past few weeks. The topic always seems to have come back around to our recognition of our imperfections and the expectations that we place on ourselves and on others. When we have experienced life events that have caused damage, we expect that we should be able to bounce back....unscathed...as if it never happened.
 
   I think about our physical bodies. I wonder what it would be like if we treated physical wounds the same as we treat soul wounds. True, there are some injuries that are superficial and may only be skin deep. These quickly heal in minimal time. Some of them don't even require a bandaid and are forgettable. But what about wounds that are deeper than the surface? That were more traumatic? That maybe damaged joints, muscles, organs, or bone?

  My husband had a severe accident nearly seven years ago. The damage was deep. He could have lost a limb. Surgeries, radiation, and physical therapy were performed to save his arm. However, based on the severity of his injuries, it would be ludicrous to expect that his body would not have some lingering effects.

  Even after his arm has healed...it functions differently than it did prior to the trauma. He recognizes this, adjusts, and accommodates for the limitations trying to function as best as he can. He rarely asks for help. What do we do when we see him falter??? We do not roll our eyes and sigh.  We do not point out the possibility that if he would have double checked his ladder maybe he wouldn't have brought this on himself. We move in to support. We do not remind him of what he used to be capable of. We assist him in achieving the highest level of functionality despite the disability.

  So why do we treat soul wounds and injuries differently? Why do we pretend as if they are all superficial and forgettable. Some wounds are deeper than the surface. Some were more traumatic. Some maybe damaged our faith, our trust, our sense of safety, our values, our relationships....

   I absolutely believe in the healing power of God. I have observed it. I have experienced it. I continue to experience it. I believe that God can miraculously resolve body and soul wounds. I also know that there can be complications. Variables. Changes in function. My hope is that I will be open to accept His healing to the degree that I am capable of....that I will recognize the root cause of any disfunction....that I will lean on His mercy during times when the ugliness surfaces....and that I will embrace the struggle as a part of my story.

  You see, if there was no struggle.....grace would be unnecessary.

0 comments:

Post a Comment