Too Small?

Years ago I read an excellent book by Henry Blackaby titled Experiencing God. The point he made that had the most influence on me was that we often pray man-sized, rather than God-sized prayers. We figure out what seems feasible, and then ask God for it. God is able to do "far beyond all that we ask or think" (Ephesians 3:20). I was a principal of a Christian school when I read that book, and it challenged me to try to have a God-sized vision for that ministry and think beyond what seemed possible from a merely human vantage point.

The Lord brought this to my mind again several days ago as I was contemplating the transfer of our last frozen embryo. I found myself praying that the Lord would allow me to carry this little one for another 7-8 months. That of course would be a miracle in and of itself as the success rate at this clinic for frozen embryo transfers is about 20%, and that's when a woman transfers more than one embryo. I had mixed emotions about the whole process because I was assuming that if I became pregnant again, the pregnancy would be as difficult as my last one, and the thought of spending another 10 weeks in the hospital is downright terrifying. I also assumed that if the Lord gave us a fourth child, that baby would again be born prematurely and involve another multiple week stay in the NICU, which also has been very difficult for me in the past. As I was reminded of Ephesians 3:20 last Sunday, I have been praying with more boldness (Ephesians 3:12) and asking the Lord that He would enable me to have a much smoother pregnancy that doesn't involve lengthy hospitalizations or a stay in the NICU. God might choose to take this little one up to Heaven in the next several days, or He might choose to sustain us through another difficult pregnancy, but I am trying to confidently pray a God-sized prayer for this baby. Nothing is impossible with God! What about you? Are your prayers man-sized or God-sized? Ask God to give you a God-sized vision for your life and have the confidence to make your requests known to Him in prayer, even if those requests seem very improbable.

0 comments:

Post a Comment