Little Ears

Prior to having children I listened to a contemporary Christian radio station whenever I was driving. When my eldest was a toddler she expressed a strong preference for VeggieTales cd's. We began listening to those instead of the radio when I was driving. It was a tough switch for me because listening to Bob and Larry sing song after song literally gave me a headache. Eventually I was able to listen to the singing cucumber without getting a headache, but I still would have preferred to listen to the radio. After a steady diet of their cd's for a few years, I started listening to the radio again sometimes when we are in the van together. I falsely assumed that it was strictly for my benefit and thought it was just background noise to my little ones. My three-year-old son often sings while he plays. Several times this summer as I have listened to him singing, I realized that the lyrics he was singing, such as "You are wanted," were from songs the radio station played. Although we listen to a variety of secular music - from preschool songs to patriotic songs to musicals such as "Annie" and "Mary Poppins," most of the songs we listen to are teaching my children about the Lord and the truths contained in the Scriptures. This is one way to follow the instruction given in Deuteronomy 11:18, "Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads."

0 comments:

Post a Comment