Looking For A Hero



   A few days ago my husband and I took our kids up to Latrobe, PA where the Pittsburgh Steelers are having their annual training camp. It was pretty exciting to see this well known team running drills and practicing for the upcoming NFL season. As I sat on the sideline watching everything unfold, I couldn't help but notice the hundreds of people who were lined up along the fence in hopes of getting a photo or a signature from one of the players as they entered or exited the playing field. They were reaching out for a hero.
   I started thinking about my own heroes, and what qualified them to be a hero in my eyes.  It has nothing to do with wealth, talent, athletic ability, or fame. My heroes are everyday ordinary people who I know personally.....
   My Dad....who lost his own father at the age of 4. Even though he did not have an example of how a father should be, he has excelled in being a father to me and my siblings. He loves unconditionally and continues to be a fountain of resource for us.
   My Granny.... who's husband was killed while fighting in WWII. She pulled on her inner strength and did what she had to do to raise my dad, aunt, and uncle by herself. She worked multiple jobs and became very resourceful with what she had. She was one of the hardest workers I have known.
   My Grandmother... who was born out of wedlock during a time when it was very taboo and left with a family friend to raise. My great grandmother denied her publicly, but my grandma determined in her heart that she was going to show as much love and affection as she could to her own children and grandchildren.
  My brother in law... who despite a painful past is not afraid to share his experiences in order to help another along the journey. He has the heart of a pastor, and even though he was displaced from that position in a horrific manner, he still functions as a pastor. He cares deeply for God's children and pursues them passionately.

  My friend... who lost her father in a farming accident at the age of 6. When he was no longer around to protect her, she endured years of childhood sexual abuse. When she finally revealed the abuse, she was blamed for it. This woman deeply loves her husband and children. She has been a comfort and a huge resource for me when my daughters revealed their own abuse. She has a passion for God and for life that is unmatched.
  My husband... who I see rise to the challenge again and again. Even though I don't always make it easy for him, he loves me in spite of my faults. This man loves all of our children as if we had created them ourselves rather than adopting them. He pushes through physical pain to provide for his family. He gives out of lack. He helps from his heart. He brings me chocolate.....and a card with encouraging words.
  These people are a few of my heroes. They have lived through some really tough places, yet still were (and are) able to love without reservation. They were (and are) Godly examples whether they know it or not. I would rather be in relationship with these people, my heroes, than have all of the autographs and photos of the most famous people in the world!

0 comments:

Post a Comment