OUCH!!!!

     Paper cuts.  We all get them.  They sting and they annoy for days as that tiny flap of skin endlessly brushes against EVERYTHING.  I have a friend who is a large, very tough looking man.  In many ways he is very tough, but in the paper cut category, his pain tolerance is extremely low.  I have listened to him rage and roar through some pains that seemingly are very small, and on my person would cause only a wince.

     I seem tough.  I've given birth to children and am in the process of raising them.  But, I'm not as tough as I seem.  I cannot tolerate emotional stress.  It is the biggest weakness I have.  Even if the smallest thing happens, (my nine year old screaming out how much he hates me and slamming the door), I go immediately to a very dark place.  I hide in my room, out of sight and cry.  Sometimes, little by little I pull away.  Sometimes I rage and roar like my friend and his hurt finger.  It all equals an overreaction to a very small and very common slight.

     The Bible says we are to be slow to wrath and quick to forgive.  That our responses to people should be gracious and filled with love.  I fail often, but the mental image of a wailing banshee in the trees is enough to make me pause.  May we all find grace today in the moments of irritation and weakness. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment