Seeing

  My job requires me to work in people's homes. One of these houses has an attached apartment with a gentleman who has his own designated staff person until 9pm. Once they leave for the evening, he goes to bed and we typically don't hear from him.
   On a Friday night shortly past 9pm all 4 of my individuals were in bed and my side of the house was quiet. Suddenly the guy from next door burst into the house appearing very agitated. This man can be pretty intimidating. He stands well over 6 feet tall and has to weigh over 250lbs. In the past he has actually ripped an industrial door clean off of the hinges.
   My first reaction was that my heart started racing as I stood to deal with the situation. He was yelling and swinging his arms around, hitting himself in the head and shaking. I have never worked directly with him and I could not understand his body language. I was feeling nervous and concerned for everyone's safety.
    The more that the other staff person (who also had never worked with this person) and I struggled to understand him, the more agitated he became. We knew that if we couldn't break through the communication barrier, things would continue to escalate. We kept reassuring him that we were trying to understand him and that we were going to figure this out. We tried yes and no questions, having him draw/write, and other communication devices. Finally he called his sister who interpreted for us.    
   This gentleman is often misunderstood. Anyone looking into that situation from the outside may have called the police because it appeared as if he was going to assault us. In reality, he was frustrated because he felt sorry for something that he had done earlier in the day before we had come on shift. Once we understood him and reassured him that everything was okay, he left as abruptly as he had come. Had we not purposely strived to understand him, the potential for harm was imminent.
     There are so many times when I have looked at someone and assumed that I know what is going on with them. I have put words in their mouth, made my judgement, and written them off without asking them the questions that will show me their heart and often dispel my misconceptions. I must remember that I cannot see with my eyes how God is moving in their heart.
   
    I Samuel 16:7 ......"man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart".

0 comments:

Post a Comment