Just Beyond the Froot Loops

I am on vacation.  This means lots of extra work but of a different kind.  It means rules are relaxed, bent, broken.  It means Froot Loops for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if I so desire.  So far, I've only made it to breakfast and lunch.  These differences and a measured lawlessness gives me the opportunity to shake up my life and see if it looks any better that way.
This vacation I'm not the only one doing the shaking.  Mass at the Basilica of the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, followed by a tour got me thinking about and reaching for the saints.  I'm wanting more discipline in my life, but not the arbitrary sort I usually cook up.  Anything is better than nothing, but St. Theresa of Avila has taught me the value of training.  I keep feeling drawn to St. Teresa of Lisieux.  I'm learning to trust that feeling.
Somewhere beyond my last bowl of Froot Loops, a new life in a better shape will welcome me closer to home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment