Big Dog




I have a miniature dachshund named Dexter who thinks he is the King of the hill. Although he is the smallest of my three canines, he definitely has the largest personality. He is bossy, bullheaded, and boisterous, and he runs the other two dogs as if they are his minions. I have seen this mighty mini stretch his head over the food bowls and just stand there staring down the other dogs as if to say "Try it! I dare you!".  Even though they both outweigh him by at least triple the pounds, they will walk the long way around him and avoid eye contact at all cost.
  Dexter will sound the warning of strangers at the door, a passing motorcycle, the nightly visit from the neighborhood cat, and even a fly buzzing around by barking and leaping from his perch on the back of the couch with such fierce energy that sometimes I think he should be wearing a cape. However, when a thunderstorm rolls through, at the first flash of lightning he transforms from Super Dog to Mr. Scaredy Dog. He shivers, quivers, paces, and pants until I have to literally wrap him in a blanket and hold him like a baby.
  It makes me wonder how many of us humans try to pretend that we are the big dog, afraid of nothing and totally in charge when underneath it all we are shaken by the rumble of the storms in our lives. During these times we could lean on others and draw from their faith, but sometimes we catch ourselves trembling in the corner instead trying to handle it alone.
  In Matthew 8:23-27 Jesus calms a storm that the disciples thought was going to destroy them. They were astonished that the winds and the sea obeyed Jesus. In the midst of my storms, I need to be reminded that He is in control and trust Him to be my shelter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment