Special Delivery

   Today is my youngest daughter's 8th birthday. Most moms can recount every twinge of each contraction in the retelling of their birth stories. I can't. I have never physically delivered a baby. I kinda just "collected" all of mine. Their ages do not match up with their order of adoption. My youngest is actually the first permanent addition to the clan.
   I remember when my husband and I were driving to pick her up. It was such a strange scenario that we hadn't told ANYONE.....just in case it didn't happen.
  A week prior, I had received an email from a local pastor who was trying to help a struggling family. Long story short, we were asked if we could care for their 6 month old daughter for a few weeks while they "got back on their feet". I spoke to the mother one time on the phone and made arrangements to drive an hour away and meet them at the bus station.
  As we sat in the parking lot waiting for the bus to arrive, we kept telling each other that this was ridiculous. People just don't hand off their baby to strangers. When the bus pulled in, we watched a young couple carrying an infant de-board the bus and walk toward us. Introductions were short as they placed this little girl into the car seat and put her few belongings in the trunk. We dropped the couple off in town where they were going to be staying. They kissed their baby goodbye and walked away.
   We had no idea what was to come. We ended up gaining full custody of her when her birth parents faded into the judicial system. She has been one of our most challenging children, but she lights up our lives! Some parents tell their children that the stork brought them.... I tell her that she was delivered by the Greyhound bus.

0 comments:

Post a Comment