A Time To Speak

Generally speaking, I like to blend in.  "Less is more" is one of my favorite mottoes, so when I found myself standing in front of the aquatic center's office strongly asserting my opinion, I was a little surprised.
I am a veteran swim class mom.  The idea of my children being helpless in water was simply unacceptable, so when our oldest was five or six I enrolled her in classes despite the seemingly insurmountable difficulty of what to do with her preschooler sister.  We survived, and almost every year after kids went to class and I sorted out how to get the next group through all that bench time.  At the height of my struggles, I had four kids taking classes, a preschooler protesting all the way, and an infant, mostly along for the ride--unless he pooped his pants.  It was crazy.  It was love.
This year, I felt entirely confident.  There were only three kids.  They were all enrolled in lessons, and believe me I can get kids through a swim class.  I know all the tricks.
So, what was I doing at the office protesting?  They'd changed a policy and expelled parents from the pool deck.  Everyone with children in the competition pool was required to sit on the observation deck.  I forgot all about my simple life with three kids, and snapped to the terrible grind of carrying baby in a pumpkin seat, diaper bag over one shoulder, and activity bag over the other, all while trying to keep five other kids moving through their swim class or bench time experience.  In my opinion, being on the deck is the easiest scenario, and I have tried them all.
I don't think I made much difference, but when it was over I felt I'd done the right thing.  I'd had my say, and I'd spoken up for mothers coming behind me.  There is a time for everything.  There is a best practice for everything, but there are times when to do God's work in the world you just have to speak up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment