Positioning

                                               
   A few weeks ago, my brother in law, Dave, had an accident. When the phone call came, I was transported back to January 12, 2007. That was the date that my husband, Gene, had his own accident.  It was eerie how similar these events were. Gene had fallen nearly 3 stories from a ladder and sustained severe injuries to the left side of his body. Dave had just fallen nearly 4 stories from a roof and sustained similar injuries, but to both sides of his body.
   I remember Gene saying that he was skipping church to go see Dave.  Gene felt that if anyone could be an encouragement to Dave in the midst of this crisis, who better than someone who has gone through the same thing. I couldn't agree more!
   When we go through a tragedy we often wonder how anything good can come out of it. I don't believe that life tragedies are a result of us being displeasing to God. Jesus already bore our judgement and completed our reconciliation at the cross. God created us with the ability to make our own choices. Sometimes things happen as a result of choice. That January day, Gene made a choice to not secure his ladder for that last run up to the top, and our lives changed dramatically. Whether we have sustained trauma by our own choice or by the choice of someone else, God can still use our painful circumstances to help another person along the way.
   That same Sunday that Gene missed church to be with Dave, there was a lady that came into our church who I had never seen before.  I overheard her telling someone that her husband had recently passed away and that she felt like she needed to get herself back into church and find some hope.  Fifteen minutes later as I stepped up to the platform to sing, I noticed that this lady was seated right next to another widow who had lost her husband in a tragic car accident more than 30 years ago. Coincidence???  I think not.

0 comments:

Post a Comment