19 Years and Counting



We are about to go on vacation, so I wasn't expecting much of a celebration when Kurt came home.  I thought we'd grab a bite at my favorite pizza spot and then see a movie or run errands.  When he announced he'd be staying in his work clothes I figured pizza was out and slid into one of those easy summer dresses.  At the main road he went right, or in the direction of Grand Rapids.  Big city living seemed to be calling and how, he took me to the best steakhouse in the region.  It was only our nineteenth wedding anniversary, not a ten or a multiple of five.  Even the hot bread and butter were interesting.  There is no word for describing every part of our experience except for excellent.  On my side of things I will add that it was a wonderful surprise.
God can be like that at times.  We settle into a happy humdrum carrying forward with our spiritual routine expecting nothing more and sometimes not needing more.  Just at that moment he showers us with his presence and love and we are spurred on to greater growth.  We remember all that is good, but we are no longer content.  We must have the better life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment