No earthly good

In his book, Heaven, Randy Alcorn argues against the familiar saying that people can be "so heavenly minded that they are of no earthly good." Paul said in Colossians 3:2 "Let heaven fill your thoughts. Do not think only about things down here on earth." Although I believe that heaven is going to be an amazing place that far exceeds my wildest imagination, there are things here on earth that I am hoping to experience before I'm taken up to glory, such as watching my children grow up and becoming a grandmother some day. During times of grief and loss, I find great comfort in the knowledge that in heaven there will be no pain, tears, sickness, or sadness. Struggles here on earth and the knowledge that another piece of my heart has already gone to be in the presence of the Savior increase my longing for that glorious day. We like for things to end on a happy note. It has been hard for me to accept that my childbearing years are ending on the sad note of a miscarriage, but my time here on earth is not the end of the story. My prayer is that my increased focus on heaven will be of great benefit to those around me. It is so easy to get caught up in the mundane aspects of life here on earth and not put enough of our time and resources into what matters for eternity.

0 comments:

Post a Comment