West Michigan Writer's Workshop

I am completely exhausted.  I'd like to say it's because I ran a marathon or something, but it's really because I rejoined my writer's group.  I give them up ever school year because they meet at the same time as my kid's Religious Education classes.  I continue to work on my novel, but it feels up in the air without the critiques to ground it.  I also miss all the tricks I learn by reading my peer's work.

Being part of a writer's group doesn't sound grueling, but you lay yourself naked on the table.  You have to take it when they cut you because it's for your own good.  You have to remember to be gentle when it's their turn because their creative life is on the line.
Members of my writer's group come from many communities and perspectives, nevertheless I have yet to find a member whose advice is useless.  Some write poetry, others magazine articles and essays about nature, a bunch of us write novels, but all of us write worthy critiques.
I am finding that an openness to criticism leads to strength, even if it's only the strengths of humility and patience.  I'm learning that you don't have to inspect a person's pedigree before accepting good advice.  I am discovering that when openness is truly mutual you will be changed, most often for the better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment