Memorial Day



Dear Grandad,

I never had the privilege of meeting you, but I wish I could have known you. I think my dad looks a lot like you.  I have heard only bits and pieces about your life...mostly about your military service and  how your surveying skills during WWII directly impacted the fall of Germany.
I wonder if you felt a sense of destiny that April morning, or if it was just like any other day. I can't begin to imagine the thoughts that ran through Granny's mind as she opened the door to receive that dreaded telegram from the war department.

I wasn't there when your casket was shipped home with a purple heart inside, but I want you to know how proud of you I am for making the ultimate sacrifice for your country. Because of your courage...I know life and freedom that may have been lost.

Your family and country have not only survived...we have thrived!

William Frederick Kincaid Sr.
US Army
Killed on active duty in April 1945
God Bless America!!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment