Unfamiliar Roads.

    I have a friend that lives in a neighboring town that is connected by a very isolated back road.  It is the kind of road that feels like someone's really extended driveway.  Recently she asked me for a ride to town so I gladly prepared myself for awful potholes and poor cell service.

     In broad day light I found myself prepared for the roads uncomfortable twists and drove at a speedy 45mph.  The light exposed so much of the ruts, washed away bits, and detritus blocking part of the way.  As we drove, I kept my eyes on the road and respected my surroundings.

     We went to our scheduled meeting and were challenged to exceed expectations and use our spiritual gifts.  We had learned much and had a lot to share on our crazy road back to her house.  My friend is extremely wise and kind.  She has a generosity of spirit that puts my cynical side to unspeakable shame.  As I again navigated the twists and turns now in the total darkness that comes in northern Tippecanoe County at night, I listened to her share her thoughts and the plans that she'd made.

     I found myself driving at 30 mph and thinking much.  Her light exposed my ruts, washed away bits, and detritus blocking my progress.  As I delicately picked my way back to her house in my SUV, she delicately picked away at the hardness of my heart.  I am grateful for her thoughts, putting into practice what she taught, and hoping for the brightness of day to show a clearer path.

0 comments:

Post a Comment