Seasons

Last night I went to a church service in Pittsburgh and one of the ministers told a story of a man who sent his four sons to view a fruit tree on a faraway piece of property.  He sent each son during a different season; one in the winter, one in the spring, another in the summer and the last in the fall of the year.  He asked each one to describe the tree upon returning.  The first son saw what looked like a tiny, withered, dead tree, and he saw no hope for future life or growth from it.  The second son, upon returning, told the first brother that he was wrong; this tree was growing and beginning to grow leaves.  The third son said that they were both wrong.  The tree he saw was large and strong, with beautiful flowers all over it.  The last son said that they were all wrong.  The tree was heavy with fragrant, ripened fruit, ready for harvesting.  The father told them that they were all right.  They had simply seen the same tree in different seasons.  The minister then compared this story to how we view others and how quickly we form opinions and judgements regarding them, when we are only seeing them in one season of their lives.  

Wow.  That made me consider how easily I get frustrated and am tempted to give up on people who God has placed in my path, when they don't appear to be acting in the manner that I think they should be acting, after I have poured into their lives.  How unbelievably arrogant of me!
Lord, remind me when I begin to feel this way, that I am seeing only one season of their life.  Remind me that one will plant the seeds, another will water them, but it is You who gives the increase!

0 comments:

Post a Comment