"I Know"

   Before I had children, when I would see an unruly child in public, I would automatically think what a poor job the parent must be doing. Ignorant, judgemental me.....Then I was blessed to be able to adopt my 5 children, 3 of which have a diagnosis of ADHD. This past week ADHD has kicked my butt and left me exhausted and cranky. Friday was the worst!
   My 7 year old had decided that she didn't want to take her medication, so when I had turned my back she sneaked it out of her mouth and into the trash can. It was hours later before she finally confessed what she had done. Of course by this time she had been in trouble and been yelled at more times than I could count. She flipped and flopped, ran and rolled, jumped an jiggled ALL DAY!!!! Then when the blessed hour of "bedtime" (can you just hear the angels singing?) finally came.....she was wide awake and stayed awake for 28 hours straight!
   Living through the roller coaster of ADHD has caused me to become a pro at recognizing it. Now when I see a child who is unruly, instead of making that same ignorant judgement, my heart goes out to the parent as I want to hug them and say "I know".
   Hebrews 4:14-16 encourages us to hold on to our faith. It says that Jesus understands our weaknesses because He has faced all of the same testings, but did not sin. Because of this, when we run to Him, He will not scold us or turn us away.... He will say "I know" and shower us with mercy and grace to help us when we need it most.

0 comments:

Post a Comment