Snail Mail

These days most of our written communication comes electronically. It's nice to be able to send a message for free and receive a response back very quickly. Many weeks our mail carrier only delivers bills, magazines, and junk mail to our mailbox. Ever since I was a child, I have considered it a treat to receive a card or a letter that came through the mail. As electronic communications have become more and more common over the past twenty years, it seems that snail mail from a friend or loved one has become even more special. Before I began using e-mails, I used to send many letters through the mail, but over the last twenty years I haven't sent many cards or letters aside from my annual Christmas card. Over the past year I have been encouraged on many occasions by a card someone has sent me. Seeing what a blessing it has been in my life, I have set a goal to at the very minimum send one card a month. Maybe to a widow who will soon be approaching the one year anniversary of her husband's homegoing, my daughter's Sunday School teacher, or to someone whose beloved pet recently passed away. Who couldn't use a little encouragement through the mail every now and then? I pray the Holy Spirit will bring just the right person to my mind and use whatever I send to brighten her day. "Encourage one another and build each other up" (1 Thessalonians 5:11). Maybe you could drop a card or a letter in the mail to someone this week?

0 comments:

Post a Comment