I Can Safely Go



I wish this was my library. The shelves are filled with creaky, leather-covered, books.  Books that one hopes are full of wisdom.  
These are some of my real shelves.  They are a bit of a jumble because I've been reorganizing.  I've been gathering all the books I have from the ancient and medieval periods.  Their covers are mostly mass-produced paperback, but their contents are as ancient as anything in the first picture.  I have finally succeeded in creating a life where reading them is required.  I thought my primary feeling would be guilty pleasure, but instead I am afraid.  It's nonsense, but here I am, afraid.  I've read books by authors who are considered particularly difficult and done well, but my reading has a certain flatness from years of only seeing what I was asked to see.  I'm afraid I won't be able to read more deeply or that I'll see too much and lose my way.  
Fears of this kind are like a ball glove on a fence post, meant to scare a child into staying in the yard.  They are false and unkind.  They must and will be out-grown.  Life is too short to stay in the yard, so right here, right now, on this blog I adore, I promise to keep reading.  The Ancient Mesopotamian Epic of Creation is next, and I shall go forward from there.  God gave me the whole world, not some small corner to hide in.  He will be with me everywhere I go.

0 comments:

Post a Comment