Adventagious.

   Please pardon the pun.  I'm new at this.  The advent season is upon us.  I've never quite known what to do with it all.  The colors for start, purple and inexplicably pink.  Candles that seem totally random.  Three purples one completely out of place pink.  5 years ago I bought a magnetic Advent calendar.  The little boxes opened to reveal another character or component to the very familiar story.  My children could place the barn yard animals, wise men (yes three years later, yes I hear you), shepherds.  The very last day, they place baby Jesus in the manger.  I loved it.

     This left me with the awkward knowledge that there is now this completely unknown to me tradition that goes with my pretty Christmas calendar.  I stewed on it for a awhile.  Last year, the Bible study that I participate online, started a brand new Advent study.  There were questions, verses, recipes, and family traditions to start.  I threw myself into it.  Every night we sat down and read the verses with the character on my calendar.  It was lovely.

Still, there was nowhere explained to me about this pink business.

I hate pink.

    Then this year, I found an explanation of it all.  Someone has put together a lovely 2 minute video that told me purple is the color of royalty and pink is used on the third week.  Pink is a color that symbolizes joy.  Now our waiting for Jesus is almost done.  All we have left is this week and next week.  Away goes the sad and haunting "O Come, O Come Emanuel" and in comes "Joy to the World."  I never knew.

     So this year, I embark on a complete tradition.  I will buy the purple and pink replacement candles today and light them as we do the verses and magnets.  Nothing at all as fun to me as getting all the information.  Happy Advent to all!  Rest in the knowledge that Jesus brings Hope, Peace, Joy, and Reconcilation.  YAY!

0 comments:

Post a Comment