What really matters

If it were up to me, the evening news would not be viewed on our television very often. I prefer the "ignorance is bliss" approach because the news discourages me. I think our founding fathers would be dismayed to learn that a mayor can dictate how many ounces a soda can contain, and our heavenly Father's heart must break over our legalization of abortion and physician assisted suicide. When I am tempted to be in despair over the direction it seems our country is heading, I try to remind myself that my hope is in the Lord, not my beloved country. The first time I was old enough to vote in a Presidential election, the candidate I voted for did not win. The next day one of my sixth grade students accepted Christ as her personal Savior. It was a vivid reminder that politics pale in importance compared to spiritual, eternal matters. A look around the world reveals that in some countries, such as China, the church is flourishing despite regulations and persecution. If our country is going to pot (possibly literally), I pray that the Lord will use this to bring about spiritual revival - that Christians will grow stronger in their faith and many more will come to know Him as Savior. Politicians and even countries will come and go. Only what's done for Christ will last.

0 comments:

Post a Comment