Breathe In, Breathe Out

"Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus, Just to take Him at His word; Just to rest upon His promise; Just to know, Thus saith the Lord."

 These words were penned in 1882 by Louisa M. R. Stead. They came from a place of pain and uncertainty following a tragedy that took the life of her husband. The Stead family was enjoying a picnic together when they heard screams. Mr. Stead ran to try to rescue a young boy who had fallen in the water. Louisa and her daughter watched in horror as they both drowned. With her husband gone, Louisa faced financial hardship to the point of becoming destitute.  In her journey of faith she learned to place her trust in Jesus. This well known hymn resulted from her story and still encourages and brings hope more than 130 years later.  

  I find myself humming or singing this song a lot lately. You see, life has thrown me some challenges and I am facing the issue of trust myself.  I know that God is still in control and that He will work things out for my good.  The conflict is between what I believe in my heart and what I see with my human eyes.  It is easy to say that I trust God when relationships are good, the bills are paid, the kids behave, everyone is healthy, and everything is sunshine and rainbows.

   But today..... I question.... I hum.... I believe.... I move.... I wobble.... I hum some more.... I take a deep breath.... I trust.

0 comments:

Post a Comment