Can't fix it.

   He and his story sticks in my head like a burr.  In the darkest part of German history, his light shown out. If you don't recognize him, I will tell you he is Dietrich Bonhoeffer.  He was a German patriot that loved his homeland and a Lutheran pastor that LOVED GOD. When the Nazis stole Germany away and started killing Jews, he fought them tooth and nail.  When he could no longer legally fight them, he joined the Nazi party and became a spy deeply involved in the Hitler assassination plot called Operation Flash.  Mystery, intrigue, cat and mouse surrounded him and he just handled it.  Extremely well.  He was going to reclaim his home for true German people.  Cool, right?  The Nazis found him out and JUST before the war ended he was hanged in a prison camp as a traitor.  That's the part that kills me.
     I thought about writing Quantum Leap type story about a way to save this man.  But then, what would we do with him after that?  This man that LOVED Germany would now have to live through the brutal, albeit deserved, bifurcation of his country.  The choices that he would have had to make would probably have gotten him shot by Communists.
     BUT, I'm writing fiction, right?  So now, let's put Dietrich in the modern era with our amazing time machine.  This is no solution either.  The man loved peace, quiet, trainable hearts and ordinands.  He thought of making Protestant almost monasteries for young men wanting to follow God into the calling of pastor.  Where would he fit in our society of loud, bawdy obnoxiousness?  And what would he do with modern German culture?  It is now getting ridiculous.
     So now, as I put down the book on my night stand, I pray.  I mourn the loss of this great mind, but realize that God's best plan for this person was to be hanged by depraved Nazis.  This is a huge whopping blow to my mind.  How could this be?  It is moments like this everyday that I realize, I am glad that Yaweh is GOD and I am just me. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment