Chasing Grandma

  When I was young, I loved going to my Grandma's house and hanging out. I would spend days at a time learning how to crochet, making crafts, watching game shows on TV, and assisting her with her business. One of my favorite things was to listen to the stories that she and my Grandad would tell.
  When they were just kids, my Grandad watched a little barefoot girl driving cows across a field. He turned and told his uncles who were with him, "That's the girl I'm going to marry". And sure enough, he did. Then the stories really got good. There were stories about growing up on the farm, of their military life, jumping out of airplanes, running their gas station/diner, working in the factory, drag racing with the teens who worked for them,....story after story after story.
  One day while I was sitting with Grandma crocheting, she started telling me stories about giving birth to my mom, my aunt, and my uncles. She also told me of several miscarriages that she had suffered. She said thoughtfully, "You know, if I had carried all of my pregnancies to full term, I would have had ten children." My Grandad had just come in the back door and piped in, "Yeah, and if I could have caught her every time I tried, we would have had a lot more!".  I can still see the grin on his face as Grandma blushed and said "Oh, Denver!".
  Two days ago Grandad passed away. Grandma had already out run him 2 years ago when she went to heaven. They had been married and making stories together for 68 years. I am thankful for the grandparents that God hand picked for me, and was blessed to have had them for so long. When Grandad slipped away on Thursday, I wonder if he sneaked up on Grandma or if she saw him coming. I am sure, without a doubt, that when they met....she let him catch her.

0 comments:

Post a Comment