An Uneducated Woman


"In everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." We sang that all the time to a catchy little tune. In my bitter moments of complaining against The Lord, it made my fate personal, chosen. It made God seem unloving. I would think, "This is your will for me! Well, thank you so much." One of the hardest things is feeling so uneducated. I graduated from college with honors, but I am deeply ignorant even in areas where it would seem I should know something.
Teresa of Avila and I are making a much belated acquaintance. Everywhere I looked there she was, so I've begun with The Story of My Life. Over and over again she refers to herself as an uneducated woman. Separated by centuries, I shout at the her in the book, "You are a Doctor of the Church!" As page after enlightening page is turned, I discover the advantages of a limited education combined with a heart hungry only for God. If her mind was cluttered with everyone else's great thoughts, she might not have simply shared her experiences. The clarity of her descriptions and the good sense with which she explains them might have been lost and then where would this uneducated woman be?


0 comments:

Post a Comment