I Declare.....

   A couple of years ago, my family took a long weekend trip to explore Williamsburg, VA. My husband and I both love anything having to do with our nation's history, especially the history of our founding and movement toward independence.
   We spent time in Jamestown, Yorktown, and Colonial Williamsburg. I loved exploring those old buildings and imagining what life would have been like during the 1700's. I quickly decided that I probably would not have made a very good colonist. I like my air conditioning and mini van too much.
   One of the buildings we went into was the original court house. The curator told us of the history of the building and the proceedings that took place there. As she started talking about the events leading up to the Revolution, my ears perked up. I got cold chills as she walked us toward the front steps of the courthouse and told us that on July 25, 1776 a copy of the Declaration of Independence arrived in Williamsburg. The town folks were gathered just outside the courthouse and the document was formally proclaimed over the city finally declaring that we were a free nation.
   If you ever have the opportunity to visit Williamsburg....make sure you stop at the courthouse and stand on those steps. Take a deep breath and see if you can smell the gunpowder from the muskets that were fired in celebration, and ......if you listen closely you just may be able to hear the shouts of freedom that came from the lips of our ancestors. I promise that your heart will swell with pride as you imagine being there at that moment to hear the day of our freedom declared.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment